HEALTH & WELLNESS
Center Grove will implement precautionary measures to limit the exposure of students/staff to COVID-19. Should an infection be reported, immediate actions will be taken. Information on those actions can be found on this page.
We appreciate the cooperation of our families, staff, and community members in supporting these efforts.
REVISIONS TO SYMPTOMS, PROTOCOLS
The Indiana Department of Health has issued revisions to symptoms and protocols for COVID-19. Those changes have been updated on these pages as of August 28. Center Grove Schools Superintendent Rich Arkanoff, Ed.D. and Health Services Coordinator Amy Norman, BSN, RN, discussed the revisions to the guidance in a video available at this link and on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
COVID-19 symptoms mimic most common illnesses, which makes it difficult to determine if a person has the virus. Current guidance is that COVID-19 usually presents with more than one symptom.
Clinic staff is not able to diagnose students/staff members. The only way to confirm a diagnosis is through testing. Because of this, parents/guardians should screen their students daily for symptoms. Please err on the side of caution and keep your student home if they are exhibiting signs of illness.
If clinic staff examines the student and suspects COVID-19, then additional instructions will be given to parents/guardians when they arrive to pick up the student including when they can return to school. If students are sent home from the clinic with suspected COVID-19, they will be excluded for 10 days unless they have a doctor’s note with an alternate diagnosis or a negative COVID-19 test result. It is recommended that all siblings of the symptomatic students in CG schools be quarantined for 14 days unless the symptomatic student tests negative for COVID-19 or the symptomatic student has a doctor's note with an alternate diagnosis.
We encourage all students/staff members who exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 to seek further guidance from a healthcare professional.
DAILY HEALTH SCREENING
- Students (parents)/employees should perform a check for COVID-19 symptoms prior to coming to school.
- If the answer is yes to any of the below questions, please do not come to school:
- In the past 48 hours, have you experienced any of these symptoms: temperature of 100.0 degrees or more or taken medication for fever; sore throat; new uncontrolled cough or shortness of breath, especially new onset, uncontrolled cough; diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain; new onset of severe headache, especially with a fever; or new loss of taste or smell?
- Have you been identified as a close contact (within 6 feet for a cumulative time of 15 minutes or longer in a day) with someone with a diagnosis of COVID-19 within the past 48 hours?
- Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the past 10 days or are you or anyone in your household awaiting test results from a COVID-19 test?
SCHOOL EXCLUSION RULES
- Students/employees should not come to school if they are experiencing illness symptoms:
- Fever (100.0 or above) or chills
- Sore throat
- New onset, uncontrolled cough that causes difficulty breathing (for students with chronic allergic/ asthmatic cough, a change in their cough from baseline)
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
- New onset of severe headache, especially with a fever
- Loss of taste or smell
- Muscle or body aches or fatigue
- Students/employees should not return to school until they are “fever-free” for 24-hours and 10 days from the start of symptoms, unless they test negative for COVID-19.
- This applies to any fever over 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit unless a health care provider can provide documentation that the student/staff member may safely return to school.
- If a student/employee believes he/she has contracted COVID-19, he/she should contact a health care provider for further instructions.
Illness/Quarantine: If a student enrolled in the Traditional option and is absent due to illness or quarantine, make-up work is expected to be completed and procedures will function as they have in the past. He/she will not be switched to CG Virtual. Secondary teachers may use Canvas to provide work for students; however, parents may still need to pick up work at the school. Elementary teachers may also use Canvas to support students in addition to sending homework. Please communicate with your child's teacher to determine expectations for make-up work.
- Isolation: Keeps someone who is sick or tested positive for COVID-19 without symptoms away from others, even in their own home
- Quarantine: Keeps someone who was in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 away from others.
- Close contact*
- Within 6 feet of a confirmed case for more than 15 minutes total in a day. This can include single encounters of more than 15 minutes or multiple interactions within a single day adding up to more than 15 minutes.
- Had physical contact with the person.
- Had direct contact with the respiratory secretions of the person (i.e., from coughing, sneezing, contact with dirty tissue, shared drinking glass, food, or other personal items).
- Lives with or stayed overnight for at least one night in a household with the person.
- Note: These close contact criteria apply regardless of mask use, face shields, or physical barriers, such as Plexiglas or plastic barriers. The only exception is if a healthcare worker in a school setting is wearing the proper personal protective equipment. When an individual’s symptom, contact, or test status changes, the quarantine or isolation requirements should be reassessed.