To be eligible for athletics at Center Grove Middle School Central, a student must be enrolled at CGMSC and meet the following age limitations.
Those whose 14th birthday occurs before August 15 shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic competition during 6th grade.
Those whose 15th birthday occurs before August 15 shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic competition during 7th grade.
Those whose 16th birthday occurs before August 15 shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic competition during 8th grade. Those whose 16th birthday occurs on or after August 15 are considered eligible until the end of the school year.
The following academic eligibility requirements are for students participating in interscholastic activities:
- All students shall be academically eligible at the start of each school year.
- The Athletic Director/coach will check grades during each grading period at interim report time (4-5 weeks into grading period) and at the end of the nine weeks when grade cards are distributed.
- Any student receiving a grade of "F" on his/her interim report is placed on academic probation for two (2) weeks. A student may still play and practice while on probation.
- After the probation period is over, the Athletic Director/coach will recheck the grades for those students who were placed on probation.
- If the student is passing in ALL subjects, that student shall be taken off academic probation and shall be allowed to continue to participate.
- If the student is not passing in ALL subjects after the two-week probation period, he/she is ineligible to play or practice until after the nine weeks grades are distributed.
Any student receiving a grade of "F" on his/her report card shall be declared ineligible until the end of the nine-week grading period and will not become eligible until report cards are distributed. A student with a grade of "F" for a nine weeks grading period shall not be allowed to play, practice, or tryout for a team while he/she is academically ineligible; nor shall any ineligible student be allowed to try out for any activity once the activity has chosen its members.
Center Grove Community School Corporation recognizes that our student-athletes are "students" first, and expects that student athletes conduct themselves with appropriate behavior at all times. Students who misbehave may face school, as well as, athletic consequences, at the discretion of the coaches, athletic directors, and middle school administration.
Closed Season Rule
An athlete may not participate on an organized team in the same sport, outside of the school, during the season that he/she is participating in the school sport. Participation also includes practice. Students violating this rule are ineligible for any sport for the remainder of the school year. Students may participate in an individual sport during the authorized season provided the parents, athletic director, and the principal have granted approval. This rule is consistent with the IHSAA and Middle School Athletic Association guidelines.