FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
“How will new student online enrollment work for Kindergarten students?”
- Enrollment is now OPEN. Links to enroll online can be found on the Center Grove district homepage, as well as all school homepages. Please note that enrollment is NOT COMPLETE UNTIL all necessary documentation is recorded (i.e. legal birth certificate, immunization records, and proof of residency).
- A note about immunization: Please upload your child’s current record at the time of enrollment. You will also need to mail, fax, or drop off a paper copy of updated shot records to your child’s school before school starts in August.
My child is more than ready for Kindergarten but he/she will be very young (or will need to complete an Early Entrance packet). What advice do you have?
- Every child develops at different rates and demonstrates readiness in different ways. Accordingly, your child may display many academic skills such as counting, identifying letter sounds, or even adding and reading.
- While academic skills are important, the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) also emphasizes the importance of other skills that are necessary to a positive school experience. These skills include independence, responsibility, self-regulation (the ability to manage emotions), and cooperation. In fact, NAEYC states that self-regulation in young children can “predict their later functioning in areas such as problem-solving, planning, and focused attention.”
- Therefore, there are many factors to consider when deciding to send your student who will be young or enroll as Early Entrance. Ultimately, it is a parent decision based in the best interest of your child. CGCSC is happy to partner with you to provide additional information so that you feel well-informed when you make a decision (317-881-9326).
Can I enroll my child in kindergarten and then decide I want to hold him/her back another year?
- Once students are enrolled in public school, retention and promotion decisions are decided by building principals and kindergarten teachers according to how well students have mastered kindergarten skills. If students display mastery of Indiana Academic Standards, he/she will be promoted. Likewise, if a student isn’t demonstrating progress or mastery of skills, teachers may begin a conversation with the principal and parent about retention. However, the decision is no longer left to parent discretion; building principals make the final determination.
What is summer screening? Do I need to “study” with my child before the screening date?
- The kindergarten screening is a locally-designed assessment administered to individual incoming kindergarten students during an appointment time in the summer. The screening is designed to assess students’ foundational learning skills. The scores on the assessment are not a “percentage” or nationally “normed.” It provides a general awareness to your child’s kindergarten readiness and a starting point for instruction in the classroom.
How will I schedule a screening for my child?
- Screening sign-ups will be available during the Kindergarten Open Houses on April 12th at your child’s building. You will be contacted by the front office if you are unable to attend Open House.
My child turns 5 after the waiver period. Can I still submit a portfolio for early entrance?
- No, if a student’s birthday is outside the waiver period, the portfolio will be denied. The state of Indiana sets August 1st as the cut-off and allows local school districts to establish an early entrance time frame. CGCSC has an Early Entrance waiver period of August 2nd - 9th.
How do I apply for an intra- (within Center Grove boundaries) or inter- (outside of Center Grove boundaries) district transfer?
- Intra-district applications will be available via an online link on all school websites between Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. - Friday, April 20, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
- Inter-district applications will be available via an online link on all school websites between Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
- For more information, please visit: centergrove.k12.in.us/transfers.
How do I enroll my child if I am requesting an intra- (within Center Grove boundaries) or inter- (outside of Center Grove boundaries) district transfer?
- Please complete the online enrollment. However, official enrollment is pending until the application is approved.
“My babysitters’ kids ride a different bus. Can my student ride the babysitter’s bus on certain days?”
- Riding a different bus is only permitted in rare situations. Most buses are loaded to capacity with students assigned a specific seat. Additional students could cause an overloaded condition on the bus. If the situation arises, the parent must write or call the school explaining the emergency. If the school approves, the principal will sign a note to the student who in turn will present it to the bus driver, allowing the student to ride a different bus. If the situation requires a student to ride on a bus that is not their assigned bus with another student, there shall be notes from the parents of both children. Please contact the Transportation Department in permanent situations that require atypical bus arrangements: centergrove.k12.in.us/Page/546.
“My transfer request is approved and I am supposed to provide my own transportation, but grandma lives in the district. Can my student ride the bus to grandma’s house?”
- Unfortunately, there are no exceptions for intra- or inter-district transfer students. Transportation to/from school must be provided by parents.
I can’t make it to the bus stop in time for my child when he/she gets off the bus. What happens?
- In order to keep your student safe, the bus driver will take your child back to his/her school. Additionally, for the safety of our students, Kindergarten students will only be dropped off if a parent or guardian is in visible sight.
- Center Grove has a partnership with Honey Grove Educational Day Care to provide before and after-school care for students. More information is available on their web page at this link.