The project includes an upgrade to the high school pool. The current pool was built in 1994. There was discussion at that time to make it 50-meters, but they went with 25-meters to reduce the cost of the project.
The smaller pool does not meet current needs. We currently have kids in the pool beyond 8-9pm on weeknights because that’s when time is available. Swimming lessons are put on hold during the peak swimming competition months, due to lack of pool time available. During events, deck space and spectator space are crowded.
The upgraded pool will include:
- 50-meter pool with diving well
- Wider pool deck space to provide safer access for swimmers, instructors/coaches
- Separate pool spectator entrance
- Separate locker/restroom space for swimmers/spectators
- Additional seating for spectators
- Therapy pool for use by special needs students and athlete recovery
Images below show the current pool.