(Update: 6/19/20) - We hope your families have been enjoying the start of summer break. We want to share with you an update and get parent/guardian feedback via a survey to help us shape our 2020-21 Return to School plan following our extended closure due to COVID-19. We are working with our administrators and teachers’ association to develop that plan. The safety of our students and staff remains our top priority. We are also working to make as few changes as we can to our school day and school calendar.
Superintendent Arkanoff has been meeting with the other Johnson County school district superintendents and Johnson County health officials to develop some guiding principles for reopening all of our schools. The superintendents have put together a joint statement that you may view at this link.
Johnson County Schools Guiding Principles for 2020-21:
- Start school as scheduled with no alteration to published school calendars (Link to CGCSC 2020-21 Calendar)
- Limit school building visitors
- Implement appropriate safety measures as recommended by state and county health officials. These measures include, but are not limited to:
- Strongly encourage students and staff members to wear masks with masks required in some settings
- Provide frequent opportunities for handwashing and/or hand sanitation.
- Require students and staff to be fever free (and fever-reducing medication free) for 72 hours prior to returning to school.
Options for CGCSC
Center Grove is working to provide two instructional delivery models for students in 2020-21: a Traditional School option and a Virtual School option. We are still working through the details for both of these options with our administrators and teachers’ association.
Traditional School Option
With the Traditional School Option, all students would be onsite with appropriate safety measures as recommended by state and county health officials.
- eLearning: If CGCSC was directed by the state to close one or all schools, students would move to eLearning during the closure. Once the closure order was lifted, students would return to the traditional school model.
- Blended: If CGCSC was directed by the state to reduce the number of students in our schools, a Blended model would be implemented in which we would alternate between 2-3 groups of students who attend in person each day. Those not in physical attendance would eLearn. Once the reduction order was lifted, students would return to the traditional school model.
Virtual School Option
With the Virtual School Option, students would learn fully online if their parents do not want them to attend the traditional school option due to personal or family health issues or other concerns related to COVID-19.
- Parents would be asked to commit to this model for the entire semester or year.
- This model would be offered K-12, if enrollment is enough to fill a class.
We ask that each family fill out the survey that was sent to parents on Friday, June 19th to share with us your preferences and concerns regarding the upcoming school year. If you did not receive the email, you can also view it in your Skyward Family Access Message Center or at this link: https://forms.gle/KDZrYM6CN8gwCvqEA. The survey will close on Friday, July 3rd.
We will use this information over the next few weeks as we work with our administrators and teachers association to finalize the many academic and logistic pieces of our 2020-21 Return to School plan. This plan will be shared via email and posted on our district website in early July.
Once we share the 2020-21 Return to School plan, we will give you the opportunity to choose which option is best for each of your students.
Center Grove middle and high school students will be allowed to return to extra-curricular activities and athletics hosted at their schools beginning Monday, July 6th. This is “Phase 1” of this process and places an emphasis on conditioning and/or specific skills development. Restrictions will be in place to protect students, their teammates, and the coaching staff from contracting and/or spreading COVID-19.
All buildings and facilities will remain closed to outside groups through the summer.
Free Resources/Food Assistance for Families
We have compiled a list of free resources at this link, including area food pantries and companies offering free WiFi.
All Center Grove playgrounds have been closed during our district's extended closure. Families are welcome to use paths around our properties with appropriate social distancing.
In early July, we will share the 2020-21 Return to School plan with you and give you an opportunity to choose which option is best for each of your students. We will also be surveying our staff to get their feedback and choices on options available to them.
We will continue to monitor guidance and recommendations from Governor Holcomb, Indiana Department of Education, Indiana Department of Health, and Johnson County Health Department as we work through these plans.
Coffee Chat with the Superintendent (June 18, 2020)
On Thursday, June 18, Dr. Arkanoff held a virtual Coffee Chat with the Superintendent. He discussed the Traditional Option and Virtual Option, along with other topics.
You can watch the video by clicking on the image. Previous virtual Coffee Chats are available at www.centergrove.k12.in.us/CoffeeChat.