CENTER GROVE COMMUNITY SCHOOL CORPORATION
ELEMENTARY READING CURRICULUM
The Teaching and Learning Department worked with our Elementary Textbook Team of teachers, administrators, and parents to thoroughly review new elementary Reading materials throughout the 2021-2022 school year. We selected Scholastic Literacy™. It is a comprehensive system of materials based on the five critical components of reading instruction, as identified through the National Reading Panel Report from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. Those components are Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, Fluency, Vocabulary, and Comprehension.
Kindergarten – Fifth Grade
- Reading – Scholastic: Scholastic Literacy
- Writing – Heinemann: Units of Study Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing
- Orton Gillingham
- University of Florida Literacy Institute Foundations (UFLI)- smaller groups with more multisensory components
- Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI)
Kindergarten – Second Grade
- Reading Foundations - (Teacher Resource) University of Florida Literacy Institute Foundations (UFLI): An Explicit and Systematic Phonics Program
- Zaner-Bloser Handwriting (K-1)
Questions & Answers
What is UFLI?
Why did Center Grove change the elementary reading curriculum?
How does Center Grove’s elementary reading curriculum align with research on teaching reading?
How are elementary teachers grading reading this year?
What is different about Spelling this year in Grades 1 and 2?
What books will my child read in the Scholastic Literacy program?