First Grade Enrollment Information
May 27, 2022
Early Entrance Application Deadline
Age RequirementFor enrollment in first grade and above, Indiana allows school corporations to enroll students in the appropriate grade according to educational factors. Based on state and local age requirements for kindergarten enrollment, most students entering first grade in the Center Grove Schools reach age 6 by August 1 of the enrolling year.
Early Entrance to First GradeSchool corporations have the authority and responsibility to enroll a student in the appropriate grade based on educational factors [I.C. 20-33-2-7 (b)]. Based on the state age requirement that a student be five years old by August 1 of the enrolling year for Kindergarten, most students entering first grade are 6 by August 1 of the enrolling year. If your student will not be 6 by August 1st of the first grade year, he/she may be considered for early entrance based on educational factors.Instances that warrant early entrance considerations:
Parents should complete the following information ELECTRONICALLY and send the documents via email to email@example.com.
- evidence of exceptionality
- evidence of participation in an accredited kindergarten program
- Early Entrance Waiver Application including a narrative explanation of how the child’s interests would best be served by early entrance with a focus on the child’s potential for success and readiness for formal education
- Copy of the child’s birth certificate
The Center Grove Director of Elementary Teaching and Learning will review the materials and may request additional information.Written notification of acceptance or denial will be emailed. All early entrance waiver decisions made by the district are final.Send the application form and accompanying materials to the attention of:Lori Robinson
- Copy of the child’s current kindergarten progress report (if currently enrolled in a program)
- Letter of recommendation of the child’s current teacher that provides specific information and examples that describe the student’s academic achievement, social and emotional maturity, and readiness for learning.
- A portfolio of student work must be submitted with the application form. Sample items are limited to two pieces of artwork, two “writing” samples, an item showing evidence of student’s grasp of number concepts, plus one print/written items of choice (no audio or video tapes, DVD’s, etc.). Student work should show mastery of Indiana kindergarten academic standards as posted at http://www.doe.in.gov/standards
- The completed application packet must be submitted by May 27, 2022.
Secretary to the Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning
Center Grove Community School Corporation